Bill Buckner’s boot to end Game 6 of the 1986 World Series is one of baseball’s most memorable plays. But that gargantuan gaffe and the Mets’ miracle comeback against the Red Sox have come to overshadow what may very well be the most dramatic and exciting League Championships and World Series in baseball history.
From the heroics of Dave Henderson, Billy Hatcher, and Ray Knight, to the heartbreak of Donnie Moore, Calvin Schiraldi, and Gene Mauch, October baseball has never had so many extra-inning battles, last-minute heroics, incredible victories, or devastating defeats.
One Pitch Away is the inside story of these incredible games and the men who played them. Renowned baseball historian Mike Sowell, author of The Pitch That Killed, combines expert research with intimate access to all the key actors in the incredible post-season dramas. Featuring portraits of Mike Scott, Gary Carter, Mookie Wilson, Mike Witt, Bob Stanley, and many more, One Pitch Away brings you inside the locker room and into the hearts and minds of the players who made the 1986 post season one for the ages.
PART I: THE GAMES
1. Wait 'til This Year
2. Dread Scott
3. The One That Got Away
PART II: The Players
4. Donnie Moore: It Wasn't Just a Game, It Was His Life
5. Mike Witt: Witt's End
6. Doug DeCinces: No Handshakes, Just a Piece of Paper
7. Bob Knepper: Standing the Gap
8. Bill Hatcher: The Hunter
9. Mike Scott: The Payoff Pitch
10. Gary Carter: Still the Kids
11. Ray Knight: The Right Man for the Job
12. Mookie Wilson: The Ball Won It for Us
13. Bill Buckner: Leaving Boston
14. Dave Stapleton: I Knew I Should Have Been in There
15. Calvin Schiraldi: No Relief
16. Bob Stanley: The Jimmy Fund
17. Dave Henderson: It's Just a Game